Triton Ballpark can now truly lay claim to being one of the premier baseball fields in all of San Diego County. The facility on UCSD's East Campus boasts a brand-new look outside the foul lines, having undergone a major renovation ahead of and during the 2015 season. Some of the main ballpark features include a permanent grandstand to seat just over 500, a press box, new sunken dugouts, a food-truck area, and restrooms, among a number of other amenities. The backstop netting comes all the way down to the ground, putting Triton fans closer to the action than ever before.
The Marye Anne Fox Clubhouse down the right field line, named after UCSD's seventh chancellor (2004-12), was introduced to the Tritons on March 17, 2015. The 4,000-square-foot structure has separate locker rooms with showers for players and coaches, coaches' offices, and a multipurpose player lounge with tables and chairs for optimal studying, as well as three flat-screen, smart televisions (with cable and Netflix) and video-game consoles for entertainment.
Triton Ballpark's extensive renovation was completed enough for competition to take place as scheduled with an Opening Day doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 1, 2015. The first pitch at the new Triton Ballpark came from Trevor Scott, the first hit and RBI by Brandon Shirley, the first run by Tyler Howsley, and the first home run in the form of a grand slam by Brian Choi. The official Triton Ballpark re-opening and clubhouse dedication took place on April 10, 2015, with the San Diego Union-Tribune present.
Previously on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011, the first-ever night game was played at the venue after lighting was installed. Lights were a much-needed addition, to enable the UCSD program to host postseason activity, with the Tritons having since earned the right to host the NCAA Division II West Regional twice in 2011 and 2014, as well as the 2012 California Collegiate Athletic Association Championship. A new scoreboard (below) arrived in right center field in time for the 2013 campaign.
Current features include:
• Fenced batting cages with power available
• A complete lighting system added in 2011
• Scoreboard (at right) added in 2013 (located in right center field)
• Permanent restroom facility added in 2015
• Food-truck area for game days
• Two new sunken dugouts (below) added in 2015 (with lighting, power and signage)
• Permanent grandstand added in 2015 to seat just over 500 (with chair backs and cup holders)
• Press box above grandstand with wired and wireless Internet, plus phone lines
• Grass picnic area down right field line
• Clubhouse added in 2015 with separate locker rooms for coaches and players, coaches' offices, player study/entertainment lounge, kitchen, patio, laundry and storage areas, etc.
Field dimensions from home plate to the fence:
• Left Field Line - 330 feet
• Left Center Field - 385 feet
• Center Field - 400 feet
• Right Center Field - 385 feet
• Right Field Line - 330 feet